COVID-19 Statement from Child Advocates
Posted on March 13th, 2020
UPDATED: May 21, 2020
The Coronavirus (COVID-19) and its potential impact on our entire community is of great concern to everyone at Child Advocates. The health and safety of our volunteers, staff and the children we serve is our top priority. With this in mind, we are taking several precautionary measures to help slow the potential spread of COVID-19.
Child Advocates staff are currently working remotely and are available via email, phone, text, and/or video. CASA volunteers and Guardians ad Litem will continue to check in with the children they serve remotely and advocate for them with their safety in mind.
On May 26 Child Advocates’ staff will begin to slowly start returning to the office. Many steps will be put into place to protect staff such as limiting the number of staff in the office, wearing masks and other protective equipment, regular cleaning and limited in-person meetings. When we must meet in-person, social distancing guidelines will be strictly followed. All visitors will be required to fill out this form prior to entering the Child Advocates office space.
Here are additional updates regarding volunteer information sessions, volunteer training, Interrupting Racism for Children and Court operations:
- CASA Volunteer Intro Sessions are now being offered virtually via Zoom. See the upcoming virtual sessions here.
- Volunteer training classes will take place remotely until August. We will reevaluate in-person training at that time.
- In-service opportunities for current CASAs are now being offered virtually. Visit the Volunteer Hub to learn more.
- All CASA volunteers will receive a new mask to wear when they feel it is safe to visit the children on their cases.
- Interrupting Racism for Children workshops scheduled for May and June have been postponed. July dates are currently tentative. Social distancing and safety guidelines will be implemented when workshops resume.
- The Juvenile Court is returning to dockets limited to uncontested hearings.
- Effective May 4, 2020, Juvenile Court will return to regular dockets virtually.
Please continue to keep a watchful eye on children in your neighborhoods and if you suspect abuse or neglect, call 1-800-800-5556.
We appreciate the community’s understanding and ongoing commitment to the children we serve. As we have updates, we will continue to communicate directly with those impacted.
Questions? Contact us here.