COVID-19 Statement from Child Advocates
Posted on March 13th, 2020
UPDATED: July 1, 2020
The Coronavirus (COVID-19) and its potential impact on our entire community is of great concern to everyone at Child Advocates. The health and safety of our volunteers, staff and the children we serve is our top priority. With this in mind, we are taking several precautionary measures to help slow the potential spread of COVID-19.
On May 26, Child Advocates’ staff began slowly returning to the office. Many steps have been put into place to protect staff such as limiting the number of staff in the office, wearing masks and other protective equipment, regular cleaning and limited in-person meetings. When we must meet in-person, social distancing guidelines will be strictly followed.
Child Advocates staff who are not in the office are working remotely and are available via email, phone, text, and/or video. CASA volunteers and Guardians ad Litem continue to check in with the children they serve remotely and advocate for them with their safety in mind.
The Department of Child Services (DCS) has resumed in-person visits and we are working closely with its staff on CHINS cases. Please note, Child Advocates will see children in person, while wearing PPE, at the request of the Court or if we believe it is essential. Child Advocate plans to resume in-person visits on August 3.
Here are additional updates regarding volunteer information sessions, volunteer training, Interrupting Racism for Children and Court operations:
- All visitors to the Child Advocates office will be required to fill out this form prior to entering.
- CASA Volunteer Intro Sessions are now being offered virtually via Zoom. See the upcoming virtual sessions here.
- Volunteer training classes will take place remotely until August. We will reevaluate in-person training at that time.
- In-service opportunities for current CASAs are now being offered virtually. CASAs may visit the Volunteer Hub to learn more.
- All CASA volunteers will receive a new mask to wear for their return to in-person visits. Child Advocates staff will provide these important updates to CASAs.
- Interrupting Racism for Children Workshops will resume in-person mid-July at The Jewel Center. Social distancing and safety guidelines will be enforced. See upcoming workshop dates.
- The Court continues to slowly open up CHINS dockets.
- The Court will reopen on July 13 while adhering to social distancing guidelines and other safety precautions.
Please continue to keep a watchful eye on children in your neighborhoods and if you suspect abuse or neglect, call 1-800-800-5556.
We appreciate the community’s understanding and ongoing commitment to the children we serve. As we have updates, we will continue to communicate directly with those impacted.
Questions? Contact us here.