Family Judge Talks Racism, Jail, & Impact on Kids | Podcast Episode 4
Posted on September 22nd, 2021
Child Advocates tackles the tough topics of race and racism to build a better future for every child where race is not a predictor of their life outcomes.
Hear our powerful conversation with outspoken, “no-holds-barred” Marion County Superior Court Judge Geoffrey A. Gaither who states that “locking up our youth doesn’t work!’ The Judge also addresses the disproportionality of Black children in the child welfare and juvenile justice systems; a new plan to keep youth out of jail in Marion County; rising racial tension in the nation; and a program preparing racially diverse children for legal careers.
- Judge Geoffrey A. Gaither – Marion Co. Superior Court/ Presiding Judge: Family Division Court 9
- Cindy Booth/Child Advocates CEO
- Angela Cain/Communications Consultant/Podcast Host
LISTEN TO EPISODE 4 NOW
LINKS FROM SHOW:
- Child Advocates: https://www.childadvocates.net/
- Judge Geoffrey A. Gaither Info: https://indianacourts.us/times/2021/01/the-honorable-geoffrey-a-gaither/
- Indiana Youth Institute: Data Report: Youth in the Justice System: https://www.iyi.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Juvenile-Justice-Report_FINAL.pdf
- Virtual Trivia Night – https://www.childadvocates.net/events/
- 6:00 – Why jail doesn’t work, especially for many youth
- 11:54 – The importance of ‘undoing racism’ and “Interrupting Racism for Children” workshops for the community
- 18:10 – Judge asks why some people are so ashamed of their history that they’re trying to make it illegal, why today’s racial tension makes him weary
- 23:33 – A review of the data and a discussion of racial inequities for youth in the justice system
- 31:05 – What juvenile courts are doing today to keep youth out of jail including a transformational program from the Marion Co. Prosecutor’s office to stop prosecuting low-level offenders
Please subscribe, rate, review, and share Your Voice. Their Future.
Thank you for joining us on our podcast as we use our collective voices to create a better world for all children.
LISTEN TO PREVIOUS EPISODES