Overcoming the Quarantine: How to Build a Curriculum for Home-Based Learning
Posted on March 19th, 2020
Due to the current outbreak of COVID-19, MANY parents, foster parents, guardians and kids will be staying home for the next several weeks practicing safety precautions like social distancing to stay healthy. While this unprecedented outbreak may have disrupted our routines, it does not have to disrupt any child’s education!
Rather than allowing our stress to take over during this time of social separation, we can look forward to what all we may accomplish and the memories we can make while at home with our families. Now is the perfect time to spur our children’s creativity.
From the comfort of your own home, you can open up a child’s educational experiences beyond the conventional math and science classes and use the extra time to focus on problem-subjects in school. Whether the children in your care are learning about humanity’s first spacewalk, discovering a new passion in the world of imagination, or rereading a book from last year’s reading list that they didn’t quite get to, the educational opportunities within the four walls of your home are endless.
In case you need a little inspiration, here is a list of free and fun learning options, vetted by our Educational Liaison Team, to explore with children. Remember, creativity does not live in a place, but in the undiscovered depths of our own minds. Use this time to enjoy exploring yours!
Online learning resources to develop at-home lesson plans:
Learning resources by subject (toddler-AP students):
Just for Kids:
Just for Teens and Adults:
Take virtual tours without leaving the safety of your own home! Explore anywhere from The Great Wall of China to the local farmers market with these helpful links. Happy travels!
- The San Diego Zoo videos, activities, and games for kids. Enjoy the tour! https://kids.sandiegozoo.org/
- Tour Yellowstone National Park! https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/photosmultimedia/virtualtours.htm
- Explore the surface of Mars on the Curiosity Rover. https://accessmars.withgoogle.com/
- Travel to Paris, France to see amazing works of art at The Louvre with this virtual field trip. https://www.louvre.fr/en/visites-en-ligne
- This Virtual Tour of the Great Wall of China is beautiful and makes history come to life. https://www.thechinaguide.com/destination/great-wall-of-china
- This iconic museum located in the heart of London allows virtual visitors to tour the Great Court and discover the ancient Rosetta Stone and Egyptian mummies. https://britishmuseum.withgoogle.com/
- Go around the globe with National Geographic, learning about our world’s geography and animals. https://kids.nationalgeographic.com/
- View Alaskan wildlife in their natural habitat http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=viewing.webcams
- Take a deep dive into ocean life with the Smithsonian Museum. https://ocean.si.edu/
- Take a trip to space with NASA https://www.nasa.gov/kidsclub/index.html