How You Can Change a Child’s Future | Podcast Episode 1
Posted on March 15th, 2021
Statistics show that 1 in 7 children experiences child abuse or neglect each year. And children of color are overrepresented in the child welfare system. As Child Advocates, we share how you can be a voice for children by fighting abuse, neglect, and racism. Our children need us—now.
LISTEN TO EPISODE 1 NOW
LINKS FROM SHOW:
- Child Advocates CASA Volunteer Program – https://www.childadvocates.net/volunteer/
- Interrupting Racism for Children: Information, Books and Other Resources – https://www.childadvocates.net/irfc/
- 3:29 – Find out what ‘epiphany’ Child Advocates CEO, Cindy Booth, had about anti-racism training and why she thinks it’s a critical lesson in a divided nation today
- 4:42 – Learn what led to the creation of CASA Volunteers – Court-Appointed Special Advocates for Children – and why this program is so critical for children
- 6:47 – Hear some of the main reasons there are so many abused and neglected children in the welfare system in Indiana and how you can help
- 17:22 – Find out why Child Advocates took on the groundbreaking work of anti-racism training more than a decade ago and what it has to do with the children they serve
- 19:19 – Cindy Booth, a white woman, discusses institutional and systemic racism and why talking about it makes some white people uncomfortable. Also Cindy talks about a disturbing incident that a colleague witnessed that showed how racism can impact children in the child welfare system… including white children.
- 26:44 – We examine the rise in hate crimes and racial tensions in America today, including the worldwide racial equity protests. How did we get here? Cindy has a compelling answer.
Please subscribe, rate, review, and share Your Voice. Their Future.
Thank you for joining us on our podcast as we use our collective voices to create a better world for all children.
LISTEN TO OTHER EPISODES