How A Child Advocates’ Program Helps Vulnerable Children Find a Safe Home Sooner | Podcast Episode 9
Posted on January 31st, 2022
A child who has faced abuse or neglect can spend a year or more in the child welfare system, often awaiting court trials that will determine their future. Hear about a life-altering program we launched for children, years ago, to help them find a safe and secure home sooner.
And we are honored to help serve more children across Indiana in new ways. A state agency has selected our agency to help children connect to its mental health services. Learn more in our latest podcast.
- Cindy Booth / Child Advocates CEO
- Phyllis Armstrong / V.P. of Program Operations & Interim Director of Mediation Program
- Angela Cain / Communications Consultant / Podcast Host
LISTEN TO EPISODE 9 NOW
LINKS FROM SHOW:
- Child Advocates New Services in 2022: https://www.childadvocates.net/
- Child Advocates’ Current Programs: https://www.childadvocates.net/programs/
- Child Advocates “Interrupting Racism for Children” Workshops: https://www.childadvocates.net/programs/irfc/
- 2:37 – Cindy Booth discusses a new, wonderful opportunity for Child Advocates to serve more children in new ways – statewide – helping children access services that can address their mental health
- 4:34 – The foundational piece of everyone who works at Child Advocates – Our goal
- 6:00 – How Child Advocates has been a systems’ changer – creating a mediation program in the child welfare system that helps children find a safe home sooner and how that program started and helped change the culture of the child welfare system
- 9:00 – Phyllis Armstrong explains how the Mediation Program works and how it brings all parties, involved in a child’s case, together
- 13:00 – How mediation helps parents get more ‘buy-in’ on the decisions impacting their children even if they are sometimes losing their parental rights; why it’s critical for them to have a voice
- 19:10 – How the child welfare system seeks reunification with the parents, most often, and how the system offers services to help parents overcome obstacles so children can return to their care
- 22:50 – At the heart of the work Child Advocates: The kids and what mediation means to their future
- 28:30 – The Power of Mediation – A touching story of Mediation’s impact with a family that was adopting children from a troubled mother. How the adopted family overcame stereotypes, saw the mother’s humanity, and made room for the children to stay connected with their mother
- 37:00 – How Child Advocates hopes to expand its’ Mediation Program across the state
- 40:00 – How Child Advocates stands up for justice and race equity for all children, including “Interrupting Racism for Children” and how you can get involved. Your Voice. Their Future.
Please subscribe, rate, review, and share Your Voice. Their Future.
Thank you for joining us on our podcast as we use our collective voices to create a better world for all children.
LISTEN TO PREVIOUS EPISODES
- Episode 8 – The Stories of Children Facing Abuse and How Child Advocates Fights for Justice
- Episode 7 – Why Children Facing Abuse Deserve A Free Attorney
- Episode 6 – How Abuse and Neglect Can Impact a Child’s Education
- Episode 5 – Interrupting Racism: As Racial Tension Rises, Race Equity Program Grows
- Episode 4 – Family Judge Talks Racism, Jail, & Impact on Kids
- Episode 3 – What’s the Truth About Critical Race Theory? Hear from a Professor with Firsthand Knowledge
- Episode 2 – If Racism Affects Our Children’s Future, Why Are We Afraid to Talk About It?
- Episode 1 – How You Can Change a Child’s Future